Email Spam, there is just one thing to say about it: UGH! Amiright? No one wants this crap in their inbox. Yet, there it is, every day, hundreds and thousands of, at best, the internet's equivalent of throwaway mailers for maid services you will never employ. At worst, they can be threatening, malicious, and used to defraud thousands of dollars from the naive and vulnerable.
I, like many, assumed that the name came from the tinned meat, but apparently, I was mistaken. It is a hark back to a Monty Python's Flying Circus skit. A table full of Vikings screams "SPAM" repeatedly, thus drowning out all other conversation.
Here at Hostwinds, we have taken a firm Zero Tolerance approach to people sending Email Spam on our platform. Still, there are countless other platforms that spammers can employ. It is an unfortunate inevitability of existing in this digital age.
It seems so hopeless, but you can take steps to protect yourself! Here are five nifty tricks to keeping the spammers off your tail:
1. Report Spam! Instead of just deleting it, hit the report button! Most email platforms have a report spam button that will send the underlying service provider a spam report.
2. Avoid posting your email to public forums or providing it to companies that don't state clearly that they never sell your information. Compromises happen, but this way, at least you have some defense.
3. Filters Filters Filters! Most email programs have a filtering system that will auto-catch spam and put it in the correct spam folder. However, you can continually strengthen those filters to allow less garbage through.
4. Unsubscribe. If you signed up for a newsletter for something that you thought was cool eight years ago, and thrice-daily emails have plagued you ever since use the unsubscribe button at the bottom! I don't recommend doing this if it is something that you don't recognize because sometimes those links can hide malicious artifacts. Still, if you don't need emails from your local big box retail store anymore, this can help reduce the amount of junk in your inbox.
5. Employ the block button. If you are getting spam from the same sender, don't be afraid to use that block button!
We never recommend responding to Spammers under any circumstances. Be safe out there, Hostwinds Family!